In order to select and send a team to represent a country at the International Economics Olympiad (the IEO), the organization willing to host the selection process needs to submit an application which will be reviewed by the IEO Executive Board (the EB) according to the criteria stated in this document. According to the IEO Statute, there are two types of applications:
- Application for a 3-year agreement (3YA) with the IEO.
Once the 3-year agreement is concluded, no applications from the same country will be accepted for the next 3 IEOs.
- Application for a 1-year participation in a particular IEO.
There are two categories of such applications:
Conditions for the applications are divided into the following categories:
- Early-bird application. The deadline for submitting an early-bird application for a 1-year participation is 31 January of the year of the IEO.
- Late application. The deadline for submitting a late application is specified in the relevant IEO Annual Regulations, but should be no later than 1 month before the IEO.
- Conditions for the entity. Conditions that are applied to the prospective Sending Organization.
- Conditions for the competition. Conditions that are applied to the selection process through which the contestants that will represent a country at the IEO are chosen.
- Necessary conditions. The conditions which, if not fulfilled, will decisively lead to the declination of the application.
- Desirable conditions. The conditions which, if not fulfilled, may or may not lead to the declination of the application.